SUP Coalition Meeting Minutes

MARCH 2015

Sherburne County Substance Use Prevention Coalition

Meeting Minutes

March 18, 2015

9:00 a.m.

Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Operations Center

 

Coalition Members Present:

Mark Kolbinger, Becker High School

Bjorn Dixon, The WHY Church

Jennifer Pim, Sherburne County Attorney’s Office

Francine Kosse, Fairview Health Services

Molly Hanson, YMCA

Kayla Stai, Big Lake High School

Rachel Tauer, Becker High School Student

Brad Rekstad, National Guard Counter Drug Task Force

Maureen Wilkus, Sherburne County Health & Human Services

Alicia Klepsa, SUP Project Coordinator

Nathan Sindt, Regional Coordinator

Mike Tauer, Parent Representative        

Mark Lees, Sherburne County Health & Human Services

Roxanne Schreder, Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office

Danielle Gessell, Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office

 

Mark Kolbinger called the meeting to order at approximately 9:00 a.m. Introductions were made.  We welcomed a new parent representative, Mike Tauer. 

 

Mark Kolbinger asked if everyone had a chance to review the minutes from the February 18, 2015, meeting. Bjorn Dixon made a motion to approve the minutes, which was seconded by Jennifer Pim. All were in favor.

 

Mark Kolbinger asked for any additions or changes to the proposed agenda. Roxanne advised Nathan will talk about ATOD training earlier in the agenda. Maureen Wilkus made a motion to approve the agenda, which was seconded by Francine Kosse. All were in favor.

 

Consent Agenda

Nathan Sindt advised the total expenditure to date is $17,733.45, remaining $107,266. Added expenditures were computer equipment and SAPST training that Alicia attended. The in-kind match at this point is $13,900. The in-kind match needs to be completed by September 29, 2015. Brad Rekstad made a motion to approve the consent agenda, which was seconded by Jennifer Pim. All were in favor.

 

Strategic Prevention Framework

Alicia gave a presentation on an overview of the grant and coalition. Alicia will send the PowerPoint presentation to all coalition members. She went over the primary purpose of the grant, what sustains an active membership, and examples of what is allowed for matching funds. Alicia reviewed and explained the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) – a 5-step planning process (assessment, capacity building, planning, implementation, evaluation). Alicia advised we are continuing to work on the contract with our evaluator, Collaborative Planning Group (CPG), and she reviewed their services. Cultural competence and sustainability are used throughout the whole SPF process. Alicia reviewed logic models and strategies for community change. Bjorn suggested having different levels of the PowerPoint created to use in future settings depending on who it is being presented to. Alicia advised she will work on this.

 

ATOD Training

Nathan advised the Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug (ATOD) forum is April 14 in St. Cloud. Register by April 3 - $15 including lunch – at www.mnprc.org. Topic is “Data Come Homes: Mobilizing Community Stakeholders”. The grant funds can be used for members to attend.

 

By-Laws

Mark Kolbinger addressed each section to see if there was any further discussion needed. Mark asked about when the term would start with current people in leadership positions. It was decided to keep those in their current positions and the by-laws can be amended later if the “fiscal year” needs to be changed. There were no further questions or changes made. Alicia Klepsa made a motion to approve the by-laws as written, which was seconded by Francine Kosse. All were in favor.

 

Coalition Updates

Evaluator Progress – Alicia advised the Collaborative Planning Group (CPG) contract is with the County Attorney’s Office. Jennifer Pim will be in contact with CPG to work through the suggested changes and questions that CPG has.

 

Youth Leadership Council Funding – Alicia advised the Coalition was approved to use funds from this budget period ($1,800) and the next budget period ($7,200).  Advisors have been found in Becker and Spectrum. Alicia or Angie will lead Big Lake until they bring someone on board. Judy Johnson is working out some contract issues with the Elk River School District.  

Graphic Designer Search – Alicia has been in contact with two graphic designers in Minneapolis, Community BluePrint and Voom Creative, but will be checking out suggestions from coalition members on local companies. 

 

Coalition Involvement Agreements – Alicia advised the CIA forms have been updated and include a media release on them. Please review, sign, and turn them into Alicia.

Communications Team Update

Kayla advised the Facebook page is up and running. She asked everyone who has a Facebook account to “Like” and “Share” it. Jim Boyle with the Star News interviewed Alicia and is going to put together an article on the coalition. Kayla handed out a coalition brochure for all to review.

 

Task Force Updates

Business Forum – Molly advised they are working with the Elk River Chamber, Elk River Rotary, and possibly the Princeton Rotary to do presentations.

 

Faith Forum – Bjorn advised they are working to have a single event in the fall with a guest speaker. In May, the ministerial will invite all of the youth pastors and ministers to an event and they will have a coalition representative present.

 

Law Enforcement Forum – Roxanne advised the Sheriff’s Office is planning on having an open house in the fall. She has also contacted the police chiefs in the county and provided them with information about the coalition to see how we can assist each other.

 

Student Survey Task Force – Roxanne advised Big Lake Schools has a Survey Monkey account that the coalition can utilize. Discussion in the past was to have the survey completed by the end of the school year so that it can be rolled out at the beginning of the next school year. Roxanne is looking for one or two people to assist with this. Mark volunteered to assist. Kayla suggested Angie and if she is not able, Kayla will do it.

 

Responsible Beverage Server Training Task Force – Mark Lees advised Responsible Beverage Server training has been scheduled for May 19th from 2:00-4:00 PM and May 20th from 6:00-8:00 PM.  He has reached out to some of the groups who host annual events where alcohol is served and they have not been receptive to sending their workers through this training. Mark said it is not a requirement for anyone to attend these trainings. Alicia advised it was thought to create a task force to tackle this. Jennifer suggested providing them with information to give to those individuals. Mark Kolbinger suggested providing this training for free to the people working the events. Mark advised he works with the city clerks to have them hand out his contact information to anyone who applies for an event permit. Kayla asked if any counties require the training. Brad advised there are a few counties/cities that do require it but it was coalitions who were able to get that changed. It was suggested to try to raise the permit fees and those that attend would get a discounted rate. Mark Kolbinger suggested contacting each municipality to find out their fees for special events. Mark Lees will work on this.

 

Coalition Retreat Task Force – Alicia advised the coalition will hold a 3-4 hour retreat in August with a guest speaker. She asked everyone to think of topics of interest and check their calendar for the weeks of August 10-14 and August 17-21. This will be discussed further at the next meeting.

 

Upcoming Trainings

Roxanne gave a quick overview of the upcoming trainings.

 

The rest of the agenda was tabled until the next meeting due to time constraints.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 10:36 a.m.

 

The next meeting will be on Wednesday, April 15, at 9:00 a.m. in the Sheriff’s Office Emergency Operation Center.

Minutes from previous coalition meetings are available upon request.
  • Facebook Social Icon

© 2016 by Sherburne County Substance Use Prevention Coalition