SUP Coalition Meeting Minutes

DECEMBER 2014

Sherburne County Substance Use Prevention Coalition

Meeting Minutes

December 17, 2014

9:00 a.m.

Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Operations Center

 

Coalition Members Present:

Mark Kolbinger, Becker High School

Bjorn Dixon, The WHY Church

Jennifer Pim, Sherburne County Attorney’s Office

Francine Kosse, Fairview Health Services

Angie Folch, Big Lake High School

Mark Lees, Sherburne County Heath & Human Services

Molly Hanson, YMCA

Amanda Larson, Sherburne County Health & Human Services

Kayla Stai, Big Lake High School

Julia Schreifels, Bank of Elk River

Rachael Tauer, Becker High School

Joel Brott, Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office

Brad Rekstad, National Guard Counter Drug Task Force

Dan Bradley, Sherburne County Probation

 

Mark Kolbinger called the meeting to order at approximately 9:00 a.m. Introductions were made.

 

Mark Kolbinger asked if everyone had a chance to review the minutes from the November 19, 2014, meeting. Jennifer Pim made a motion to approve the minutes, which was seconded by Bjorn Dixon. All were in favor.

 

Mark Kolbinger asked for any additions or changes to the proposed agenda. Roxanne asked to add a training opportunity for Alicia Klepsa, the new project coordinator. No other changes were made to the agenda.

 

Consent Agenda

Financial expenditures to date – Roxanne had a report through December 10 and $346 was reported for airfare to Washington DC for training. Mark Kolbinger asked for a motion to approve the consent agenda. Joel Brott made a motion, which was seconded by Francine Kosse. All were in favor.

 

Project Coordinator

Roxanne advised the federal grant managers approved Alicia Klepsa as the new project coordinator in time for her to attend the training in Washington, DC. She will start in the office on Monday, December 22.

 

New Grantee Meeting in Washington DC
Roxanne commented on her and Alicia’s time at the training. They were able to meet with other coalitions to get feedback and ideas. She received all of the PowerPoints that were used throughout the training and she will forward them to all coalition members to review. They received a lot of information regarding lobbying and educating the public as well as information on how to operate as a county entity.

 

Coalition Sector Representation

Roxanne advised there are two new coalition members attending this month – Rachael and Julia, and they each gave a little background about themselves. Roxanne commented on a possible parent representative from Big Lake, Kari Walz, and she is working on connecting with Russ Girtz, the parent representative from Becker. Roxanne received an email from Pat Arnold (Civic/Volunteer Organization representative) who advised he wants to try to come more often and remain involved. Representation is still needed for the media sector - Kayla said she would if no one from the newspaper, radio, etc. is able to due to meeting conflicts. Roxanne commented it would be nice to have two from each sector so that generally each area will be covered.

 

Communications Team Update

Bjorn commented on the committee meeting from this morning and brought a recommendation for the coalition logo from the voting that happened at the last meeting. Kayla talked about the design elements involved in the logo. Molly advised she had showed it to a group of five youth from Youth & Government program at the YMCA and all five  chose this logo as well. Bjorn commented on tying “SUP” into the domain name when a web address if found in the future.

 

Bjorn advised various media outlets published information on the grant award.  Phase 2 of the press release will come out when Alicia is settled into her new position and a feature story will be on her and the coalition as a whole.

 

Social Norms Campaign – Roxanne commented the trend right now is to focus on the kids that do not use drugs and alcohol to show kids who do use or are considering using that there are other options. There is money to be used through the grant for a graphic designer. This will be a contract that will need to be approved by the county board. Julia advised she has several graphic designers that she can recommend. Roxanne said it would be for posters, billboards, resources for website, etc. Julia suggested to put it out for a bid as an entire project laying out what exactly the coalition wants versus a monthly amount.  

 

Kayla will work on a letterhead design and put the logo in different formats for various uses for the coalition.

 

By-Laws

Mark Kolbinger advised this agenda item was tabled at last month’s meeting in order to get input from the evaluators. Roxanne advised she met the evaluator in DC. She said other coalitions suggested using someone local. She has emails out to other coalitions for feedback on who they have used. Jennifer does not feel we need an evaluator for this process. She had done another draft of by-laws that she forwarded to Roxanne this morning. Jennifer learned that we most likely do not need to comply with open meeting law. Roxanne will send out Jennifer’s draft for all to review to be discussed at next month’s meeting. A request for review and suggestions regarding the wording of the by-laws by the end of this year is appreciated – please send suggestions to Roxanne.

Memorandum of Understanding

Roxanne advised we had to supply a Memorandum of Understanding between the Coalition and the Sheriff’s Office with the grant application that outlined the responsibilities of the coalition and the sheriff’s office as the fiscal agent. Roxanne read the Memorandum of Understanding. During her training, Roxanne learned last week that it should be more detailed. She asked if anyone would like to form a task force to review and formulate ideas for the MOU. Roxanne will get samples from other coalitions. Jennifer, Roxanne, and Joel will be on the task force.

 

Youth Leadership Council

Roxanne commented that other coalitions have switched to hiring an advisor within the schools that would be in charge of the groups based on guidelines set by coalition. Roxanne advised there would be some room in the grant to pay these people. The schools will look into this and see what other advisors are paid for similar things.

 

Roxanne commented that the continuation grant proposal for next year must be submitted by the end of January 2015.

 

Angie advised if another survey is going to be done it should be done before assessment time which starts in April. This will be added to the agenda for next month.

 

Training Opportunity

Roxanne commented there is a leadership forum that is put on by CADCA just outside Washington DC in February and discussion was had about whether Alicia should attend this training. It was decided to look at the budget to see if it would possible to send her to the mid-year training instead. Roxanne advised they graduated from the National Coalition Academy through CADCA this year, as well, however, will still send Alicia to the training in Minneapolis beginning in March along with coalition members if they are able to attend.  (Three different members, one for each week of training.)

 

The regular meeting was adjourned at 10:18 a.m.

 

The next meeting will be on Wednesday, January 21, at 9:00 a.m. in the Sheriff’s Office Emergency Operation Center.

Minutes from previous coalition meetings are available upon request.
  • Facebook Social Icon

© 2016 by Sherburne County Substance Use Prevention Coalition